Wednesday, June 20, 2012

China - Day 5

Today was a low key day.  Our only appointment was to get Maggie's picture taken for her passport.  After that we were free to enjoy the day however we pleased.

We took a cab to Shamian Island, a pretty well known place in the China adoption community.  We did a lot of shopping as the prices here are ridiculously low!!!  Dad was a great negotiator and got us even lower prices than what most places were asking.  Katie and I picked out everything we wanted and then walked out to let Dad work his magic!!!  I was able to buy so many things to give to Maggie over the years so that she will never forget where she came from.

There is a beautiful park along the Pearl River in Shamian Island and we saw many people dancing, singing, playing hacky sack and doing Tai Chi.





There were also many brides and grooms all over having their pictures taken.  I'm not sure if they were really married our just a bunch of models for a photo shoot but they all looked beautiful!

We took Maggie to the playroom at the hotel as it doesn't appear that she's had a lot of tummy time and seemed to have difficulty crawling.  She did great and seems to be getting a little stronger every day.  I know she looks sad in these pictures but she was really having a great time with her Aunt Katie, Uncle Tom and Grampa Grumpy!!



Maggie is already madly in love with her Aunt Katie and no one can make her belly laugh like she can.  Aunt Katie has been AMAZING with her and I am so sad that she and Uncle Tom are leaving on Friday.  Maggie and I are going to miss them terribly :-(


She's come such a long way in just three short days.  The first day she wouldn't even take the bottle let alone look at me when I tried to give it to her.  By day two she was at least eating but not much eye contact.  Now, she looks me right in the eye, touches my face and smiles at me!!  It's amazing what can happen in such a short period of time!!


Even Grandpa is starting to get some smiles from her.  I don't think she was around a lot of men and isn't too sure of them at this point.  Each day brings her a little closer to trusting Dad and Tom.


We went out to dinner with our guide for another authentic Chinese meal.  The food here is nothing like the Chinese we get back in the states.  He orders everything for us and we just trust him that it is nothing disgusting - like beetles, snake, etc.  Last night he ordered chicken which looked good....

...until we saw the chicken head staring back at us.  
Needless to say, we passed on the chicken.

We don't have a lot of appointments left - just Maggie's medical exam and then our US Consulate appointment next Wednesday.  I love the amazing gift of Maggie that I've been given by the People's Republic of China but I am so ready to get home!!!

2 comments:

  1. Well now I am belly laughing!! After I saw the chicken head, I couldn't stop laughing. They must get the biggest kick out of Americans. Just give us chicken nuggetts, please. I am so glad that Maggie Lu is adjusting so well. With all of your love, she is going to do just fine. Katie and Tom have a safe trip home. We will just have to skype with you more once they leave. I am sure it will go by quickly, and it gives Maggie time to bond with you and Granpa.

    ReplyDelete